What is Sumatriptan?
Sumatriptan is a prescription drug and an effective painkiller specifically used as a migraine treatment. Although the cause of migraine attacks is not fully understood, it is thought that widening of blood vessels in the brain causes the throbbing pain of migraine headaches. Sumatriptan works by stimulating receptors called serotonin (or 5HT) receptors that are found in the brain. A natural substance called serotonin normally acts on these receptors, causing blood vessels in the brain to narrow.
If you answer YES to any of the following questions please consult your own GP before continuing with our
- are allergic (hypersensitive) to Sumatriptan tablets or any of the other ingredients
- have untreated/uncontrolled heart failure or are in shock caused by heart problems
- suffer with heart conduction or rhythm problems
- have a slow heart rate
- have low blood pressure
- suffer from severe blood circulation problems (which may cause your fingers and toes to tingle or turn pale or blue)
- suffer from diabetes mellitus (low blood sugar levels may be hidden by this medicine) and increased acidity of the blood (metabolic acidosis)
- are on a strict fasting diet
- suffer from a tight, painful feeling in the chest in periods of rest (Prinzmetal’s angina)
- suffer from asthma or any other breathing difficulties
- suffer from untreated phaeochromocytoma (high blood pressure due to a tumour near the kidney).
Take special care with Sumatriptan tablets and tell your doctor if you:
- have a history of allergic reactions
- suffer with muscle weakness (myasthenia gravis)
- have a heart weakness or first degree heart block
- have kidney or liver disease
- have symptoms of hyperthyroidism (increased appetite, weight loss, sweating)
- suffer from blood circulation problems (which may cause your fingers and toes to tingle or turn pale or blue).
- suffer with or have a history of psoriasis
- suffer from Raynaud’s disease (cold sensations in fingers and toes) or intermittent claudication (narrowing of arteries in the legs causing pain on walking)
How should you take ?
Always follow the Patient Information Leaflet carefully. The dose will be on the pharmacist’s label. Check the label carefully. If you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Where can I buy Sumatriptan online?
You can buy Sumatriptan online with or without a prescription at Medical Specialists, after completing a simple online consultation. Just complete an online consultation by clicking the orange button above. We are the UK’s leading supplier of pain killer medication, and Sumatriptan for sale in the UK.
Ask Our Prescriber / Pharmacist
Medical Specialists® are proud of our in-house team of Prescribers, Pharmacists and Experts who carry out the online consultations, dispense medication or help our patients in other ways.
If you would like to ask one of our experts any questions regarding your medication or any other matter, then please feel free to submit your query to us and will get back to you.
How We Package Your Order
Your medication is sealed in a plain shipping box for protection then placed inside a tamper-proof Royal Mail special delivery envelope before being dispatched from our in-house NHS pharmacy.
- Discreet Plain Packaging
- Royal Mail Special Delivery
- No Mention of Medication
For full patient information, please read or print out the leaflet provided at the bottom of this page about Sumatriptan.
This patient information leaflet is provided for information purposes only. This leaflet information should not be used in contradiction with your Doctor or Pharmacist's advice. Medical Specialists recommend that you carefully read the information leaflet provided with your medication. Medical Specialists will not accept liability for information displayed. Please refer to the leaflet provided with your medication for the latest manufacturer's information.