What is Maxalt Tablets?
Maxalt Tablets contain Rizatriptan which is used as a painkiller to relieve the headache phase of the migraine attack in adults. This prescription drug reduces swelling of blood vessels surrounding the brain, this swelling results in the headache pain of a migraine attack. Rizatriptan works by stimulating receptors called serotonin (or 5HT) receptors that are found in the brain. A natural substance called serotonin normally acts on these receptors, causing blood vessels in the brain to narrow. Rizatriptan mimics this action of serotonin by directly stimulating the serotonin receptors in the brain. This narrows the blood vessels and so relieves the pain of migraine headaches.
If you answer YES to any of the following questions please consult your own GP before continuing with our
Do not take Maxalt Tablets if:
- you are allergic (hypersensitive) to Rizatriptan benzoate or any of the other ingredients of Maxalt Tablets
- you have moderately severe or severe high blood pressure or mild high blood pressure that is not controlled by medication
- you have or have ever had heart problems including heart attack or pain on the chest (angina) or you have experienced heart disease related signs
- you have severe liver or severe kidney problems
- you have had a stroke (cerebrovascular accident CVA) or mini stroke (transient ischaemic attack TIA)
- you have blockage problems with your arteries (peripheral vascular disease)
- suffer from diabetes mellitus (low blood sugar levels may be hidden by this medicine) and increased acidity of the blood (metabolic acidosis)
- you are taking monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitors such as moclobemide, phenelzine, tranylcypromine, or pargyline (drugs against depression), or linezolid (an antibiotic), or if it has been less than two weeks since you stopped taking MAO inhibitors
- you are now taking ergotamine-type medications, such as ergotamine or dihydro-ergotamine to treat your migraine or methysergide to prevent a migraine attack
- you are taking any other drug in the same class, such as sumatriptan, naratriptan or zolmitriptan to treat your migraine (see Taking with other medicines below).
If you are not sure if any of the above apply to you, talk to your doctor or pharmacist before taking Maxalt Tablets.
Take special care with Maxalt Tablets and tell your doctor if you:
- you have any of the following risk factors for heart disease: high blood pressure, diabetes, you smoke or you are using nicotine substitution, your family has a history of heart disease, you are a man over 40 years of age, or you are a post-menopausal woman
- you have kidney or liver problems
- you have a particular problem with the way your heart beats (bundle branch block)
- you have or have had any allergies
- your headache is associated with dizziness, difficulty in walking, lack of co-ordination or weakness in the leg and arm
- you use herbal preparation containing St. John's wort
- you have had allergic reaction like swelling of face, lips, tongue and/or throat which may cause difficulty breathing and/or swallowing (angioedema)
- you are taking selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs) such as sertraline, escitalopram oxalate, and fluoxetine or serotonin norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors (SNRIs) such as venlafaxine and duloxetine for depression
- you have had short lived symptoms including chest pain and tightness.
If you take Maxalt Tablets too often this may result in you getting a chronic headache. In such cases you should contact your doctor as you may have to stop taking Maxalt Tablets.
How should you take ?
Always follow the Patient Information Leaflet carefully. The dose will be on the pharmacist’s label. Check the label carefully. If you are not sure, ask your doctor or pharmacist.
Where can I buy Maxalt Tablets online?
You can buy Maxalt Tablets online with or without a prescription at Medical Specialists, after completing a simple online consultation. Just complete an online consultation by clicking the orange button above. We are the UK’s leading supplier of pain killer medication, and Maxalt Tablets for sale in the UK by our pharmacy which is regulated by the Royal Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain.
Ask Our Prescriber / Pharmacist
Medical Specialists® are proud of our in-house team of Prescribers, Pharmacists and Experts who carry out the online consultations, dispense medication or help our patients in other ways.
If you would like to ask one of our experts any questions regarding your medication or any other matter, then please feel free to submit your query to us and will get back to you.
How We Package Your Order
Your medication is sealed in a plain shipping box for protection then placed inside a tamper-proof Royal Mail special delivery envelope before being dispatched from our in-house Pharmacy.
- Discreet Plain Packaging
- Royal Mail Special Delivery
- No Mention of Medication
For full patient information, please read or print out the leaflet provided at the bottom of this page about Maxalt Tablets.
This patient information leaflet is provided for information purposes only. This leaflet information should not be used in contradiction with your Doctor or Pharmacist's advice. Medical Specialists recommend that you carefully read the information leaflet provided with your medication. Medical Specialists will not accept liability for information displayed. Please refer to the leaflet provided with your medication for the latest manufacturer's information.