What is Marvelon?
Marvelon is a combined oral contraceptive pill (‘the Pill’). You take it to stop you getting pregnant. Marvelon is a 21-day pill – you take one each day for 21 days, followed by 7 days when you take no pills. Marvelon will not protect you against sexually transmitted infections, such as Chlamydia or HIV.
How does it work?
Marvelon contains two types of female sex hormones, oestrogen and progestogen. These hormones prevent an egg being released from your ovaries so you can’t get pregnant. Marvelon also makes the fluid (mucus) in your cervix thicker which makes it more difficult for sperm to enter the womb.
The benefits of taking an oral contraceptive include:
- It is one of the most reliable reversible methods of contraception if used correctly.
- It doesn't interrupt sex.
- It usually makes your periods regular, lighter and less painful.
- It may help with pre-menstrual symptoms.
How to take Marvelon?
To prevent pregnancy, always take Marvelon exactly as described below. Check with your doctor or family planning nurse if you are not sure.
1- Take Marvelon every day for 21 days.
Marvelon comes in strips of 21 pills, each marked with a day of the week.
- Take your pill at the same time every day.
- Start by taking a pill marked with the correct day of the week.
- Follow the direction of the arrows on the strip. Take one pill each day, until you have finished all 21 pills.
- Swallow each pill whole, with water if necessary. Do not chew the pill.
2- Then have seven pill-free days
After you have taken all 21 pills in the strip, you have seven days when you take no pills. So if you take the last pill of one pack on a Friday, you will take the first pill of your next pack on the Saturday of the following week. Within a few days of taking the last pill from the strip, you should have a withdrawal bleed like a period. This bleed may not have finished when it is time to start your next strip of pills. You don’t need to use extra contraception during these seven pill-free days – as long as you have taken your pills correctly and start the next strip of pills on time.
3- Then start your next strip
Start taking your next strip of Marvelon after the seven pill-free days – even if you are still bleeding. Always start the new strip on time. As long as you take Marvelon correctly, you will always start each new strip on the same day of the week.
Starting Marvelon as a new user or starting the Pill again after a break
Either take your first Marvelon pill on the first day of your next period. By starting in this way, you will have contraceptive protection with your first pill.
Or if your period has already begun start taking Marvelon on day 5 (counting the first day of your period as day 1) whether or not your bleeding has stopped. You must also use extra contraception, such as condoms, until you have taken the first seven pills correctly.
Changing to Marvelon from another contraceptive Pill
- If you are currently on a 21-day Pill: start taking Marvelon the next day after the end of the previous strip. You will have contraceptive protection with your first pill but you will not have a bleed until after you finish your first strip of Marvelon.
- If you are currently on a 28-day Pill: start taking Marvelon the day after your last active pill. You will have contraceptive protection with your first pill. You will not have a bleed until after you finish your first strip of Marvelon.
- Or if you are taking a progestogen-only Pill (mini-Pill or POP): start Marvelon on the first day of bleeding, even if you have already taken the POP for that day. You will have contraceptive cover straight away. If you don’t usually have any bleeding while you are taking a progestogen-only Pill, you can stop taking it any day and start Marvelon the next day. You will need to use extra contraception, such as a condom, for seven days.
Starting Marvelon after a miscarriage or abortion
If you have had a miscarriage or an abortion, your doctor may tell you to start taking Marvelon straight away. This means that you will have contraceptive protection with your first pill.
Contraception after having a baby
If you have just had a baby, ask your doctor for advice about contraception.
If you are not breast-feeding:
- You can start taking Marvelon three weeks after the birth or,
- You can start taking Marvelon more than three weeks after the birth but you need to use extra contraception, such as a condom until you have taken the first seven pills correctly.
- If you have had sex since the birth there is a chance that you could be pregnant, you should therefore use another form of contraception, such as a condom. In this case, take your first Marvelon pill on the first day of your next period.
When you want to get pregnant
If you are planning a baby, it’s best to use another method of contraception after stopping Marvelon until you have had a proper period. Your doctor or midwife relies on the date of your last natural period before you get pregnant to tell you when your baby is due. However, it will not cause you or the baby any harm if you get pregnant straight away.
Where can I buy Marvelon online?
You can buy Marvelon online with or without a prescription at Medical Specialists, after completing a simple online consultation. Just complete an online consultation by clicking the orange button above.
Ask Our Prescriber / Pharmacist
Medical Specialists® are proud of our in-house team of Prescribers, Pharmacists and Experts who carry out the online consultations, dispense medication or help our patients in other ways.
If you would like to ask one of our experts any questions regarding your medication or any other matter, then please feel free to submit your query to us and will get back to you.
How We Package Your Order
Your medication is sealed in a plain shipping box for protection then placed inside a tamper-proof Royal Mail special delivery envelope before being dispatched from our in-house Pharmacy.
- Discreet Plain Packaging
- Royal Mail Special Delivery
- No Mention of Medication
For full patient information, please read or print out the leaflet provided at the bottom of this page about Marvelon.
This patient information leaflet is provided for information purposes only. This leaflet information should not be used in contradiction with your Doctor or Pharmacist's advice. Medical Specialists recommend that you carefully read the information leaflet provided with your medication. Medical Specialists will not accept liability for information displayed. Please refer to the leaflet provided with your medication for the latest manufacturer's information.