Erectile Dysfunction Physical Causes
The erection process is quite complex and depends on a number of factors, therefore ED can be caused by a variety of reasons.
Any problem with the sequence of events that leads to an erection can contribute to ED (male impotence). The sequence of an erection process involves nerve impulses in the brain, spine, and penis as well as the response in the muscles, fibrous tissues, veins and arteries.
Mostly the physical causes are attributed to health conditions and side effects of certain medicines. Here is a brief list of the physical causes of ED (male impotence):
Health conditions can be of four types i.e. vasculogenic, neurogenic, hormonal or anatomical. These health conditions can affect flow of blood, nervous system, hormone levels or the physical structure of the penis. Here is a combined list of the health conditions that can cause ED.
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure (hypertension)
- Arteriosclerosis - hardening of the arteries
- Parkinson’s disease
- Spinal injury, or disorder
- Multiple Sclerosis
- Over-active thyroid gland (hyperthyroidism
- Under-active thyroid gland (hypothyroidism)
- Hypogonadism - a condition that affects the production of the hormone testosterone
- Cushing's syndrome
- Peyronie's disease - a condition that affects the tissue of the penis
- Hypospadias - a condition that causes the urethra to develop abnormally.
Side Effects of Medicine
Use of some medicine can also cause ED. Here is a list of such medicine.
- Medicines for high blood pressure (hypertension), heart failure, and kidney disease.
- Beta-blockers used to treat high blood pressure (hypertension).
- Medicines used to lower cholesterol levels.
- Medicines used to suppress the immune system.
- Medicine for stomach ulcers.
- Medicines used to treat epilepsy.
- Medicine for depression
Speak to your GP about the medicine you are already on to see if the side effects of this medicine are causing Erectile Dysfunction also known as male impotence. Your GP can prescribe alternative medicine in some cases.
Erectile Dysfunction Treatments: Viagra Cialis and Levitra
- Est.1994, first online Prescribers in 2001
- Now the UK’s first One Stop Online Pharmacy
- Genuine branded medication
- 100% secure online payment
- FREE and discrete delivery*