Emtricitabine / Tenofovir (PrEP)
Prices from as little as £1.65 a tablet
(Including Private Prescription)
With Medical Specialists you can buy HIV prevention medication Emtricitabine/Tenofovir, which is a generic version of Truvada, a very effective and popular medicine prescribed to high-risk individuals as a prophylaxis and prevention of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV). Truvada is undoubtedly the best known brand of pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) medication available worldwide, but all versions will comprise of the same two antiretroviral drugs: Emtricitabine and Tenofovir. These are incredibly effective at preventing HIV. At-risk individuals may be suitable to buy PrEP online from Medical Specialists® following an online consultation with one of our registered Prescribers.
Please read the "Important Information before you buy PrEP Online" section further down before completing your consultation.
- Protects you from getting HIV
- For high-risk individuals
- Generic version of the popular medication Truvada
- Genuine UK medication
Important Information before you buy PrEP Online
Please note: You must upload a copy of your 4th generation HIV test results into your online consultation (clearly showing your name and date of birth, and carried out in the previous 2 weeks for your first order).
Please note: You must upload a copy of your recent kidney and liver function test results into your online consultation (showing your creatinine and eGFR and alanine transaminase (ALT) levels).
Please note: We cannot prescribe you PrEP if you are over 65, or have had unprotected sex in the last 2 weeks.
What is Emtricitabine/Tenofovir (PrEP)?
Please note: We DO NOT supply this medication if you are HIV positive and in this instance, we recommend speaking to your own doctor or sexual health clinic. We can only supply as a preventative measure against HIV-1.
When you buy HIV/AIDS prevention online Emtricitabine/Tenofovir, it is a generic version of the branded drug Truvada, an effective combination antiretroviral medicine commonly prescribed in the prophylaxis and prevention of HIV infections. Also known as ‘PrEP’- shorthand for pre-exposure prophylaxis - the medicine can be prescribed to ‘at risk’ individuals in regard to contracting the HIV-1 virus. There are two main types of HIV – HIV-1 (by far the most common) and HIV-2 (relatively uncommon and less infectious).
At risk individuals include those:
- With HIV‑1 infected partner(s), or
- Who engage in sexual activity in a high prevalence area or social network and have additional risk factors, such as: inconsistent or no condom use, diagnosis of sexually transmitted infections (STIs), exchange of sex for commodities, use of illicit drugs or alcohol dependence, incarceration, or sexual partners of unknown HIV status with any of these risk factors
How does Emtricitabine/Tenofovir (PrEP) Work?
Taken daily, you can buy Emtricitabine/Tenofovir to help to reduce your risk of contracting the HIV-1 virus and should be used in conjunction with the practice of safe sex, such as using condoms. This medicine also reduces the risk of contracting HIV from other sources such as through the use of needles.
Emtricitabine/Tenofovir Disoproxil combines two drugs within one pill. Emtricitabine and Tenofovir Disoproxil belong to a class of drugs known as NRTIs (nucleoside/nucleotide reverse transcriptase inhibitors). The two drugs work by slowing the spread of HIV in the body.
Although Emtricitabine and Tenofovir do not cure the HIV virus, they can reduce your risk of developing acquired immunodeficiency syndrome (AIDS) and HIV-related illnesses such as serious infections or cancer. You should take the medication whilst practicing safer sex and adopting lifestyle changes that could limit your risk of either contracting or transmitting the HIV virus to others.
How to take Emtricitabine/Tenofovir (PrEP)
When you buy PrEP online, always take the medicine exactly as described in the Patient Information Leaflet (PIL), and as advised by your own doctor.
- Emtricitabine/Tenofovir is a pill taken orally, once daily.
- It can be taken with or without a meal.
- Always take as directed by your own doctor and ask your doctor if you have any questions or concerns about the treatment.
- Do not take more or less of this drug than you have been prescribed or stop taking the drug at all unless you have been clearly told to do so by your own doctor.
- The dosage of this medication may vary in certain individuals, based on kidney function, medical condition, and the person’s response to PrEP. You should always speak to your own doctor if you have any concerns.
What are the possible side effects of Emtricitabine/Tenofovir (PrEP)?
Side effects are rare, and most people don’t get any. Possible side effects may vary from one person to the next, as with any medication. You should always read the manufacturer’s Patient Information Leaflet (PIL) before taking this or any other medication.
This will give you important instructions on how and when to take the medication, as well as any possible side effects of the drug.
How we package your order
Your medication is placed inside a plain delivery box* for protection, then sealed inside a special tamper-proof Royal Mail envelope before being dispatched from our in-house pharmacy.
- Discreet plain packaging / No mention of medication
- Our minimum sized delivery box* to protect the medication in transit is: W - 18cm, H - 6.5cm, D - 8.5cm
- Royal Mail Tracked 24 or 48 hr (UK addresses)
- Royal Mail Special Delivery Before 1pm (UK addresses)
- Royal Mail Local Collect (UK addresses)
- Royal Mail International Signed For (Overseas addresses)
- Some delivery types will require you to sign for the parcel
- Some delivery types will require you to show Photo ID for the parcel
- Find out more information about delivery types here